PSG ‘KNEW Neymar needed an ankle operation when he signed in 2017 but put it off due to his massive £198m transfer fee’… with the Brazilian star now set to miss the rest of the SEASON after undergoing surgery on it
- Paris Saint-Germain should have operated on Neymar’s ankle sooner, say reports
- The club are said to have known about his injury when they signed him in 2017
- But PSG reportedly put an operation off because of his huge £198m transfer fee
Paris Saint-Germain should have operated on Neymar’s ankle sooner but did nothing due to him being their record signing, according to reports in France.
The Brazilian was ruled out for the rest of the season on Monday after undergoing ankle surgery.
Superstar forward Neymar has been hampered by several injuries this campaign and is now set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.
And as reported by French outlet L’Equipe, PSG discovered an issue with Neymar’s ankle in his medical examination when they signed him in summer 2017 but decided not to operate immediately.
They add ‘many orthopaedic specialists’ think that decision has led to the string of problems he has had with his ankle since then.
Paris Saint-Germain were aware of problems with Neymar’s ankle and should have operated on it sooner but held off because of his £198million transfer fee, according to reports in France
The Brazilian star will miss the rest of the season after suffering ligament damage last month
Neymar has been ruled out of the club’s Champions League knockout tie against Bayern Munich on Wednesday evening
Neymar, 31, twisted his right ankle on February 19 against Lille, suffering ligament damage less than three months after the injury he picked up with Brazil against Serbia at the Qatar World Cup in November.
The knock is similar to the problems which have heavily affected his time at the Parc des Princes, particularly his first two seasons there.
Given his injury history and his inability to recover for the Champions League last-16 second-leg tie against Bayern Munich in Germany on Wednesday, the club have made the decision to operate, with the procedure set for later this week.
PSG said in a statement: ‘Neymar has had several instances of right ankle instability in recent years. Following his last sprain on February 19, the medical staff of Paris-Saint-Germain recommended a ligament repair operation in order to avoid a major risk of recurrence.
‘All of the experts consulted confirmed this need. This surgery will be performed in the coming days at Aspetar Hospital in Doha (Qatar). A period of three to four months is expected before his return to collective training.’
L’Equipe add that until last week, Neymar believed he would be available for the crucial return leg against Bayern, but his foot was too painful, and with his ankle weakened by several sprains, the last resort of an operation was necessary.
PSG rested him for the 3-1 win in the Coupe de France round of 64 on January 6 in order to give him an individual programme to strengthen his ankle, but that has clearly not been enough.
Neymar is believed to want to stay in Paris and return ‘stronger’ from his injury – though club chief Luis Campos would reportedly be willing to let him leave this summer.